The Edenton Cotton Mill
The Edenton Cotton Mill was formed in August of 1898, and quickly became a mainstay in the local economy. The building is a handsome example of the large industrial complex that was popular in North Carolina. The one million bricks used in its construction were made on site with machinery leased from Edenton Brick Works. Between 1899 and 1923 more than 70 homes were constructed next to the mill for its workers and supervisors, creating what is now referred to as the Mill Village. In late 1995, shortly after closing the mill, Unifi Incorporated donated the 44 acre complex to Preservation North Carolina, and the task of restoring the property began.
Today the Edenton Cotton Mill and Village is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. 57 of the original 70 homes remain, and all have been purchased and lovingly restored.
The project has been an enormous success. An article in the April 1999 of Southern Living states, "....Once again this quaint historical hamlet hums with new life, not as a museum, but as a revived lived-in community."
The 2007 July/August issue of Cottage Living magazine featured the Edenton Cotton Mill Village as one of America's Top 10 Cottage Communities.